Friday, August 04, 2006

Sepia-toned Soldier












You look out of faded pictures
Through wars and years long gone.
I try so hard to see into your eyes
To try to know you again.
But it's 1935 and you're in India,
Shoulder to shoulder with your mates,
Royal Scots, Pontius Pilate's bodyguard,
And you can't see me yet.

You're a hard wee man and
you're not looking too far ahead.
There's soldiering to do and
Battles to fight,
Mates to lose.
A girl to meet,
Five sons and a daughter to grow,
But you can't see it yet.

You can't see me in 1960
helping you to pee into a bottle
Because the cancer that's killing you
Has stripped the muscle from
Your sturdy soldier's body.

I wish I could see you now
Just so I can tell you,
I'm okay.

1 comment:

west coaster said...

Yes it is, Lingo. Thank you for that.