Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A Ride Would Be Good

Well it's developing. The Round Arran Challenge or Blazing Saddles is getting closer. The training is well under way and myself and the colleagues are working hard on building up resistance to saddle-ache.

The venue of Arran could not be better, well it could be flatter but this isn't Holland is it. We've booked into a B & B in Brodick for the night of Saturday 2nd Sept. and hopefully we'll be back there after the round island cycle in good order for a pint or two. Well it would be a real bummer if we were so fucked by the end of the day we couldn't enjoy a celebration.
The plan is to ride anti-clockwise and get the hilly north part over first. Frankly I don't think it'll make that much difference but you have to have a plan don't you.

I've put a couple of maps here for you but mostly I've put them here for me. I love maps, and I love maps of islands. They remind me of Treasure Island and I could spend hours poring over them imagining where the treasure might be hidden.

I used to spend a weekends on Arran when I was a youth. We used to camp outside of Brodick and the favourite pub was the Ormidale Hotel. I got thrown out of the place once for dancing on the table. This bloke called Fisher Gilmour who owned the place took a dim view.

Anyway I'm going to set up a donation opportunity for you all to support Cancer Research UK. Kat gave me the idea of a page on justgiving.com. As soon as it's ready I'll let you know.

No comments: