Saturday, June 10, 2006

A New Beginning

As you may notice from the comments below the gorgeous, pouting Lingo Slinger seeks to rouse me from a prolonged torpor and get on with this blog. It seems also to me that it is time I got on with the rest of my life, not just the blog. The reason I have been slumbering this long, or reasons I should say, is that (a) I have been busy with work (b) I have been reconsidering the future content and (c) pure fucking laziness. So there - now you know.

So now I've spent all this time reconsidering the future content, what have I decided? Not a clue. Hopeless, all this reconsidering when you fail to come up with something substantive. Never mind, I'll write about nothing until something comes up. (Why don't you sit on my lap Miss Jones and we'll see what comes up).

Thing is, I've got writer's block and I did want the point of this to be an outlet for creative writing. And now I just have to fall back on bashing away at the keyboard until something happens. My time in Croatia is coming to an end shortly, in about three weeks. I'll be packing up the office soon and getting ready to hand over my apartment. I will be sorry to go as I've just fallen in love with this country. The old town of Split has been my home for the past year and a half but all good things must come to an end eventually. There's a nice community of ex-pats here and I'll miss that. Friday nights in the Caffe Bar Libar have been especially pleasant and the genial host (hosts are better if they're genial as if they're not then they're generally surly) Kristijan has become a good friend. It's one of the nice things about Split that the people here are very fond of their town. There's a poem inscribed on a small obelisk near the old town centre which I think sums this up very nicely. I liked it so much I had to learn it off by heart in Croatian.

Ne treba
Nikamo ici
Nigdje drugdje
Traziti
Sto jest
I tu je

Basically the poem says - You don't need to go anwhere, to look elsewhere, what you want is here. Perhaps in another life all I want would be here but I'm not a Splichian so I'll seek elsewhere. Some day I may find it.

1 comment:

west coaster said...

Hey Selina.
You're a piece of work. Bless your little cotton socks.