Monday, January 30, 2006

OU TMA 06 Religious Studies OR History of Science


This TMA is a choice between these two subjects. A 1200 word essay is required and I'm way behind on the studying. I reckon I'll plump for the Religious Studies question which is:
How far do you think observing a religious activity, such as a festival, can help you to understand the part a religion plays in the life of an individual or a community?

Now so far I what I'm thinking is this. 'Read the question'! See it's not about religion per se, or a religious activity, or an individual, or a community. It's about how far I think the mere observance of a religious activity can help me to understand the part a religion plays etc. So we're separating the study of religion from religion itself. OK it's blindingly obvious to you lot but it helps me if I spell it out in front of me like this before I get my teeth into it.

So where should we proceed from here? Well tonight is Monday and there is usually live jazz on in the pub downstairs, so I think that is where I will proceed. In the meantime I want you lot to study this question carefully and give me your answer in not more than 1200 words. And NO TALKING! For god's sake Lingo Slinger pull your skirt down, we can almost see your breakfast! Twenty Major! Put that cigarette out or I'll have to tweak you. Clairwil! Leave Nogbad alone! Do stop snivelling Nogbad, it's pathetic. No Larnach, you can not sit next to Bluefluff. Yes I know she's your friend. No Bluefluff you cannot sit next to Larnach. Now heads down people, I'm off to the pub. Barker! You're in charge.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohoh, so you were the loud guy who kept yelling for "Sweet Home Alabama" during "So What?"..

west coaster said...

No, I'm the guy who kept shouting "Hey Jimmy! Can ye play 'Ten Guitars?'"

west coaster said...

I've got to discuss religion as a subject, so it's the 'understanding' that's needed, not the 'identifying with'. Re your last point; as my old mother used to say, and may still do, there's an awful lot of church about some folk and not much Christianity.

Anonymous said...

Oh I remember you. I recall I said, "No, only one at a time."

Justin said...

Hey, Aren't you supposed to be at the pub?

As for understanding through observing, ask yourself is it possible to understand anything simply through observing it? Is it not true that we only understand what we have experienced (see Hegel I think)? We can measure the portion of time a person spends engaged in any particular activity but we might even be able to measure the amount of time that a person spends thinking about an activity. But can we measure how much of that person's life is effected by that activity? Can we say for sure that other activities are directly related to that persons experience of the religious activity, that he experiences eating, for example, differently? And if we can is that understanding?

Of course, I have to answer the question: yes, we can understand the part religion plays in terms of our own experience. And no, we cannot understand it in terms of the person who is living it. Therefore no, it does not help us understand them but helps us understand us.

That's a fudge. But give me a break, really.

Justin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
west coaster said...

Carfully watching this space!

west coaster said...

Hey Slinger I've got to get to bed. I wanted to go two hours ago then I started ranting. See you soon