Sunday, April 02, 2006

Paul Story - A Farewell


Here I am back in my little bijoux flatette in the cultural heart of old Dalmatia. During my recent travels back from the Far East I met my body clock going the other way, so now re-united I with myself I can concentrate on the job in hand, viz; this wee blog and my OU TMA (see below).

Before I get started on other things I have to tell you about some changes now afoot in our small but perfectly formed ex-pat community here in Split. On Friday night we all foregathered in the Bar Libar just off the Riva, and adjacent to the church of St. Francis, to say farewell to The Writer. He's been here nearly two years now (I think) and he's now decided to take himself back to the UK on a publicity tour. It was a happy and, at the same time, a poignant occasion because in many ways Paul was the hub of the community, a fixture at his favoured table outside the Backpacker Cafe, either tapping away on his portable keyboard/PDA set-up or receiving visitations from his many friends, rather in the manner of the Oracle bestowing wisdom on the seekers of truth.

Luise and Kristijan had gone to some trouble to ensure that the walls of the caffe-bar were festooned with farewell banners and joshing messages and we were all there to give him a good send off. Brett made a fine speech and Paul responded with startling verbosity. Some tears were shed and much drink was taken. We'll miss him. So if you're wondering what Paul's writing is all about, visit his website. And if you see him in the UK buy him a drink, he's usually thirsty.

No comments: