Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Mission accomplished ...


... as the banner behind George W. said on the USS Abraham Lincoln. With the same breathtaking hubris I can also point to a job well done. I have just completed AZX103 An Introduction To The Humanities and, like the great Commander In Chief, I like to bask in the applause while the going is good. And, also like George, I'm getting the photo opportunity set up before I know the final result. Why waste time waiting for the marks to come in, let's get the party started.

I am just glad that it is now over. I posted my final TMA today by courier and I just hope it gets to the right place. Some confusion arose when I was trying to figure out who to send it to. The very specific instruction sheet gave one address in Milton Keynes. However there was included with it a pre-addressed envelope for the purpose of enclosing the same TMA and it had a different address in MK. What to do? Well I phoned the OU Student Support lot and the woman on the other end gave me yet another address. Well, fuck it I thought. I just went with the first one given on the instructions and hoped for the best. All very confusing.

Will I do another one? I had the notion before I started this that I might use this as the basis for a degree. I'm not so sure now. My work life and private life would have to be a lot more tranquil than it is at present for me to be able to do another 60 pointer properly. It was enjoyable even though I was doing it more or less totally on my own. The on-line tutorials were almost non-existent and the conference was dead despite my early efforts to inject some life into it.

I did learn some stuff about art appreciation and expressing myself which I can perhaps build on and that is a real positive. It is good to tackle some thing new and get satisfaction knowing you've made a decent fist of it. It was fairly basic stuff but, hey, it still required a lot of effort so good for me.

The question now is - now that the OU is out of the picture for the while - where does the blog go? Looking through past posts it is a bit of a dog's breakfast. The OU provided a thread but there's a lot of other stuff which doesn't really sit readily beside it. I'm not sure now. I know that nobody out there gives a shite but the blog does serve a useful purpose for me so I want to do it well. I reckon I should follow the fragrant Lingo Slinger's example and get more short fiction down. That will maybe stand me in good stead if I ever get round to doing A215, you never know. And on reflection it's good for a body to be able to rant about politics every once in a while. It also feels good getting my views out there where they might meet up with some similar opinion and take energy from that and grow and ... wow, gee whizz! Who knows where it might all end up!

2 comments:

Bill said...

Don't be too put off by the lack of participation in the tutorials as a new way of implementing online courses is around the corner for the OU, which may improve things (I live in hope).

A215 seems to have the most bloggers of any course - you may want to peruse a few I've bookmarked on del.icio.us.

Your blog has been a great read, I hope you keep it going...

west coaster said...

Thanks Bill. That's a real compliment. Appreciate it.