Saturday, April 21, 2007

Ramblings

I've been contributing here so infrequently I think some of you (my fondly imagined regular audience) may think I've given up altogether. Well here I am; back again. I don't often comment on current affairs but one or two items just got my goat recently and, while the last thing that I want to sound like is yet another why-oh-why merchant, I would like to express myself. It's what a blog is for after all.

I'm not going to refer, except very briefly, to events at Virginia Tech. What can anyone say about that, other than how inevitable it was that the crazies of the US gun lobby would come out and declare that such an event would not have been as bad if the campus had not been decreed to be a gun free environment. So that's what they want is it? A world where it is the norm for everyone learning or teaching or working at a university is armed with a gun?

No, it's not that event which has, well depressed me really. If something is almost guaranteed to upset me it is cruelty to children. And this past week we've had the sight of four odious slags avoiding a jail sentence after being foung guilty of cruelty against two toddlers in their "care" who they forced to fight each other, until the little boy and girl were so upset they tried to get away. But these slime were so entertained by what the kids were going through they goaded them on as if they were directing a dog-fight.

That they were not sent to jail is a scandal. The judge should think shame on himself. They"did not pose a danger to the public". The man is a fucking cretin. They sure posed a danger to the children they were supposed to be looking after, and they should be properly punished for it.

And now this. Oh I know there are cruelties and misery being heaped upon children the world over every minute of every day but sometimes something happens that brings it into sharp focus. The fat slags of North Prospect, Plymouth have more in common than they might think with the Taliban.

1 comment:

kat said...

The women were told they posed no risk to society.

I think they are a risk to society. I don't want a society that believes it is okay to treat children like this, but I don't think prison is the answer - we can't afford to keep filling the prisons up. I hope the publicity and the community service will help them to see the error of their ways and I am so glad they have been banned from working with children.

The US gun lobby are idiots and the Taliban thing is just too horrible to think about.