Sunday, October 16, 2005

A BAD MAN RAN AWAY – eTMA 01 - Part 1 – 9/6/05

This was a presented for my Start Writing Fiction course in the summer. I think the tutor liked this. This came as a surprise to me as I did not think it very strong. She said it was .. well I'll leave you to judge if you like it.

I saw the whole thing, Mum. I saw that man. I’ve seen him before. He’s just ordinary and fat and he looks a bit simple, and he’s got greasy hair. I don’t like him. He’s always coming round here in his car and Sandra says we’re to keep out of his way because he’s not nice. I saw his car coming round the corner. It’s a big red car and he’s got these big furry dice that dangle in the front window. You always see those furry dice on rotten old cars with rust all over them don’t you. When I grow up my car is going to be nice and shiny and white. I like white cars with that roof that comes down. And then this man’s car stopped in front of Mr. Singh’s shop. He’s nice Mr. Singh isn’t he and he looks funny with his big hairy beard and kind of popping eyes and he’s always shouting except when Mrs. Singh is in the shop and he’s dead quiet then and Mrs. Singh is shouting at him, but they’re always nice to me, and they always give me a sweet when I go in with you Mum, don’t they Mum. And then this man got out of his car and went in to Mr. Singh’s and I don’t know what happened then because I was too far away and Sandra came up and showed me her new trainers that she had just got that have got these sparkly lights in them when you walk. I don’t like them but Sandra was going – Oh aren’t they lovely – I think she was trying to make me jealous. And that’s when this man came running out of Mr. Singh’s and he had blood all over him and he tried to get into his car and it looked like he had forgotten he had locked it and he couldn’t find his key and then he ran across the street and then Mr. Singh came out of his shop and he was holding a cricket bat and he couldn’t see this man ‘cos he was running past me and Sandra and he was saying that bad word and calling Mr. Singh a paki and even I know Mr. Singh’s not from Pakistan so he really must be simple. Then this policeman came up and a big crowd gathered around Mr. Singh’s shop and I couldn’t see because there was too many people and Sandra and me went over and I heard somebody say – Is she all right? and then the ambulance came and the people stood back to let them in the shop and that’s when I saw Mrs. Singh and she was lying on the floor and the ambulance men were kneeling beside her and they had put this oxygen thing on her and somebody said she’d had a heart attack and now she’s dead but she can’t be dead because then Mr. Singh will have nobody to look after him. So she’s not dead is she Mum… Mum?

No comments: